A brief history of Westminster City School
Through our long and rich history, our School has retained strong roots in the educational heritage of the City of Westminster. We continue to be supported by the United Westminster and Grey Coat Foundation, a charity whose resources are dedicated to the enhancement of educational provision for its schools' students in the spirit of the original bequests of its many benefactors.
Our present building in Palace Street was opened in 1877 and Westminster School grew from 307 to 850 by 1890, when it was given the name of Westminster City School. In 1892, the first open scholarship to Cambridge was won. Under the 1944 Education Act, our School was designated a Voluntary Aided Grammar School, with Church of England affiliations and, in 1977, we became a Non-Diocesan Voluntary Aided boys' all-ability school with a mixed sixth form. We have a strong Christian ethos and commitment to equal opportunities, and continue to have particularly strong links with Westminster Abbey.
Our School has its origins in five educational charities founded in the seventeenth century. The first, resulting from a petition to Elizabeth I by Ann Sackville, Lady Dacre, in 1590, granted our Charter of Incorporation in 1601 and eventually led to the establishment of the Brown Coat School (now Emanuel School) in 1736. The site of the original Emanuel Hospital is now occupied by the St James Court Hotel in Buckingham Gate, while Westminster City School is located in the former gardens of the Hospital.
In 1624, the Churchwardens of St Margaret's, Westminster, established St Margaret's Hospital to which Charles I granted a Charter of Incorporation in 1633. As the children of St Margaret's were dressed in green, the Hospital became known as The Green Coat School. St Margaret's Hospital was sited near the present Green Coat Place and "The Green Coat Boy" public house.
Another charity was established in Westminster in 1654 by the Reverend James Palmer, who had been the Vicar of St Bride's Church, Fleet Street. He erected twelve alms-houses and a school house for "the education of 20 poor male children born within the parish of St Margaret". After fluctuating fortunes, the school was closed less than ten years later, to be re-opened in 1671 as the Black Coat Hospital which survived as a school until 1728, in what is now Palmer Street. This fitful existence was matched by that of a similar forerunner of Westminster City School, the Emery Hill foundation. Emery Hill, Churchwarden of St Margaret's Church, founded his school in 1674 but, in practice, nearly 150 years elapsed before it began to operate. In 1817 both Palmer's (Black Coat) and Emery Hill's schools were revived and continued until 1873, when a scheme for the establishment of the United Westminster Schools was approved by Queen Victoria. Emery Hill's school and alms-houses were located in Rochester Row in SW1, where the alms-houses still operate.
The United Westminster and Grey Coat Foundation now consists of Emanuel School, Queen Anne’s School, Sutton Valence School, The Grey Coat Hospital and Westminster City School. In 1909, the Blue Coat School (founded in 1688) closed and the charity's total funds were divided between The Grey Coat Hospital and the United Westminster Schools. Thus Westminster City School, an amalgamation of the Brown Coat, Green Coat and Black Coat Schools, shared with The Grey Coat the inheritance from the Blue Coat School. The Blue Coat School building has been preserved in Buckingham Gate, where it is now a National Trust shop.
The Old Westminster Citizens' Association (OWCA)
The Association comprises past pupils, students, staff and friends of Westminster City School. Its aim is to keep Old Boys and Girls from around the world informed, in touch, entertained and suitably nostalgic for their schooldays! A century ago, in 1908, the then Headmaster, Dr Stevens, with remarkable vision , saw the importance of lifelong friendships that could be fostered amongst former pupils, and so the OWCA was born.
The OWCA is a flourishing association one hundred years on, celebrating its centenary at a London dinner inon 28 March 2008, attended by some 200 Old Boys, past teachers and special guests.
OWCA maintains very close links with our School and, through its trust fund, provides finance to support a number of activities and projects.
With such a long history of education as a secondary (now ex-grammar) school within Westminster, it comes as no surprise that many of our pupils have gone on to enjoy notable success in their careers.
Here are a selection of some of Westminster City's higher profile old boys. For details on many of our other successful old boys please visit:
John Boyega, a British-Nigerian actor, known for the leading role in the recent Star Wars films.
Wes Streeting, (born 21 January 1983), a Cambridge graduate and MP for Ilford North.
Gary Alexander, (born 15 August 1979, in Lambeth), an English footballer who scored one of Wembley's best ever goals.
Terry Marsh, (born 7 February 1958, in Stepney), a former professional boxer who was an undefeated world champion.
Sir Cyril Hinshelwood, winner of the Nobel Prize in 1956.
Sir Martin Broughton, (born 1947), a British businessman who was chairman of British Airways and Liverpool FC.
Andy Mackay, (born 23 July 1946), a musician, best known as a founding member of the art-rock group, Roxy Music.
Andy Hamilton, (born 28 May 1954), a British comedian, game show panellist, television director, comedy screenwriter, and radio dramatist.
Christopher Warren-Green, (born 30 July 1955, Gloucestershire), a British violinist and conductor.
John Auguste Pouchot, (known as Jack), the youngest man to be decorated with the Distinguished Conduct Medal in battle during the First World War.
Percy Edgar Lambert, (born 31 October 1913), the first person to drive an automobile a hundred miles in an hour.